Conversations with the Coffee Machine

I grudgingly hauled myself out of bed. At the best of times I could never be described as a 'morning person'. I rubbed my eyes, and tried to force myself to wake up. How some people managed to hop out of bed full of energy and ready for the day was beyond my comprehension.

I. Need. Coffee.

It was September, allegedly spring had arrived, but the weather had turned cold and icy.  There was an unpleasant chill in the air, and so I pulled on my gown and pushed my feet into my worn grey slippers. I padded downstairs, my slippers echoing their customary ‘sloof-sloof-sloof’, alerting His Highness the Cat that there was life in the house. Wasting no time, he took up his usual position at the glass door that lead to the garden.

‘You can wait’, I informed him, ignoring his silent demand to open the door. Instead, I made a beeline for the coffee machine.

Our current brewing device was a rather intimidating silver monster. It took up most of the space on the white-grey granite counter-top to the right of the kitchen stove. This was the latest in a number of coffee machines that Gerhard and I had owned over the nine years that we’d lived together.

I opened the dark-wood cupboard door that housed our mug collection, grabbed one of the white cups and positioned it under the machine’s spout. I stabbed at the ‘long black coffee' button, eagerly anticipating my caffeine fix of the day.

Gerhard and I both loved coffee, which meant that any machine in our home needed to be able to handle high traffic volumes and was expected to perform reliably. Our previous valiant brewing device had to be laid to rest early in February 2020. Shortly after bidding it farewell, we welcomed the current, more robust, machine to the household.

As I waited for it to warm up, I smiled a little to myself - I couldn’t remember life B.C. (Before Coffee). I know there are people out there who somehow manage to ‘adult’ without coffee, I was certainly not one of them. I’ll also freely admit that I had become a bit of a coffee snob over the years. Gone were the days when I had ‘instant’ coffee in the pantry. We now had an entire shelf dedicated to our inventory of coffee beans. The stronger, the better!

The salesperson had enthusiastically marketed the advantages of what would become our new machine for, inter alia, its ability to brew perfect Espressos, Lungos, Americanos and Cappuccinos (my favourite). What she had failed to warn me of, was that this particular appliance was like a small baby. To my dismay, I soon learnt that it was demanding, and had needs – which it usually made known at the most inconvenient times. Initially, I had the best of intentions (as one does), and promised myself that I would do the necessary (such as filling the beans) before retiring for bed.  Of course, my objectives were short-lived – it became a situation of ‘knit one, slip one’, sometimes I remembered, more often than not I forgot...

The blasted thing had a ‘not so silent’ voice, and was very clear in terms of what it needed and when. It was annoyingly inflexible about its demands, requiring them to be addressed with immediate effect – I could only aspire to being quite so clear about my own requirements. Furthermore, I seemed never to be in the correct frame of mind to address the appliance’s desires - that particular morning was no exception.

The machine had still not magically filled my cup, lost in thought, I pressed the brew button again (perhaps I hadn’t been clear enough the first time?). Nothing happened.

‘FILL TANK’ flashed at me from the LED screen.


~ September 2020

And so started our conversation …

‘This was one of the ‘miss one’ evenings, you slipped up’, I rebuked myself with a sigh. I extracted the water tank and refilled it to the ‘max’ line. I reinserted it and pushed the button again. Expecting the machine to now brew my coffee, I searched for a swab cloth in a nearby drawer to wipe the surface. Cloth in hand, I started to clean the area, interrupted by the LED screen flashing

‘EMPTY GROUNDS’

‘Seriously? You’ve got to be kidding me!?’ I was starting to feel grumpy. ‘All I want is a cup of coffee, this is not supposed to be so problematic!’ I informed the offending appliance - our conversation had quickly deteriorated into an argument.

Obstinately, it reiterated: ‘EMPTY GROUNDS’.

‘Grrr, I’m not in the mood for this now.’ I informed it, as I resentfully extracted the grounds container.

‘MIAUWWW!’ Spuddy added his two cents to the discussion.  He was still waiting to be let out. ‘Hang on, I’m having a crisis’, I told him and went to wash the containers in the scullery.

Having washed and dried the receptacles, I reinserted them in the machine. ‘Let’s try this again’, I said to it and pushed the button. I moved to open the door for Spud, trusting that by the time I returned my mug would be filled. Just as I pulled on the handle to let the cat out, I heard the machine emit a loud ‘WHHHIRRRRRR’ noise indicating that the beans needed to be refilled.

I made my way back to the coffee station. ‘Why are you being so difficult this morning?’ I enquired of the equipment, as I removed the lid of the bean container that we kept nearby. The bright red storage jar was empty.

‘Pfft, of course! What did you expect?’ I asked myself, and opened the pantry in search of a bag of beans. ‘It is not necessary to turn this into a hostage situation, I don’t want any trouble from you - just give me my coffee dammit!’ I refilled the holder with beans. ‘Please? Pretty please can you just fill my mug now?’

The LED screen flashed, ‘READY, EXTRA STRONG COFFEE’.

‘Well that’s fantastic. Really nice of you. I’m trying again, but if you give me the middle finger this time I may have to resort to demoting you and changing to tea! How would you like that?’ I told it, and pressed the button for the third time.

‘mmmmm-rrrr-RRRRR-MMMMM’, the grinder roared to life. It seemed that the threat of being traded in for a teabag had done the trick. Finally, after what had become a very trying morning, the spout finally dispensed coffee into the cup.

‘Ahhh, I inhaled the amazing aroma, ‘Now, that wasn’t so difficult was it?’

‘DESCALE’ was the retort on the LED screen.

‘Well, now you just have to wait!’ I informed it, protectively holding onto my full cup.

I added some milk and crankily made my way to my spot at the dining room table. I had just sat down when Gerhard appeared. ‘Good Morning!’ He trumpeted cheerfully (he was a lot more jovial in the mornings than I was) and sat down beside me. I glared at him, ‘Nothing ‘good’ about this morning’, I responded, taking a sip of my coffee.

‘Where’s mine?’ He asked.

‘No, I’m not going near that thing. You are on your own!’ I responded forcefully.

‘Had a fight with the machine did we?’ He asked with a grin.

‘I’m not speaking to it!’

He stood up to make his own brew. ‘mmmmm-rrrr-RRRRR-MMMMM’, the grinder obediently roared to life at his request. ‘What’s the problem?’ he asked as he returned with a full mug, ‘seems to be working fine?’

With a wry smile on my face, I shook my head, and looked down at my empty mug. I needed a refill…

After I got over my irritability with having had to wrestle with the machine, I concluded that there were lessons from most things in life. Here is what I learned from my conversations with the coffee machine:

* Communicate clearly, and succinctly about what needs to happen.  The more insistent one is, the better chance of a positive result.  To my irritation, the machine seems to be far more proficient at this than I would like

* The more proactive one is about dealing with known needs, the better for the parties involved.  Give the machine the right ingredients and it delivers on its promises.  Perhaps the moral of the story here is that each situation has its own unique ingredient requirements, one should ensure adequate inventory is supplied at all times.  This is in the interest of all parties concerned and will help ensure a favourable outcome for all involved, failing which you run the risk of having an argument

* The longer I have to wait for something, the more I appreciate it when I receive it! 

‘You can do it’ - Coffee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Lessons we learned from two trees in our backyard

Hlalanathi Drakensberg Resort: Review and things to do in the area

The Fruit Situation