Makeover day 2: Photo shoot

When you manage to convince your photographer to take a selfie with you

Looking for my look

Do you have any idea what the appropriate attire for an 'author' photo shoot would be? No, neither did I, which is why, on the morning of my session I was rushing around like a headless chicken, searching for my best author outfit.
 
'Why didn't you do this last night? I asked myself, as I rummaged through the contents of my closet. I was hunting for my favourite jeans, which had pulled a very unwelcome disappearing stunt on me.  I hated packing at the best of times, probably as a result of living as a nomad due to traveling between home and boarding school and then later on, home and varsity res. I never could decide what to take along, and usually included way more than necessary - because, well, you know... you never know what you might need. The chaos that was our bedroom looked alarmingly similar to when I was getting ready to go away on extended vacation - and my photo shoot was only an hour long!

My blasted jeans were still nowhere to be found. 'I'm sure I washed them?' I commented to my reflection in the nearby mirror. My hair had taken fright and was sticking out in all directions. I had on no makeup and had yet to change out of an old faded blue t-shirt and black leggings. It was safe to say that I didn't look very author-like at all. 

'I didn't check the laundry basket!' I cut short my contemplation of my not so glamorous appearance to up-end the laundry basket on the bed. 'Bingo! Here you are!' I triumphantly held up my missing jeans. They were clean, if somewhat rumpled. Packing away the laundry wasn't one of my favourite activities. 'You really need to work on improving your turnaround times in that department' I thought to myself, and hoped the creases in my jeans would 'go away'. I made quick work of changing and packing my bag. With one last check to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything, I was finally ready to leave. Even though I was pretty sure it was no longer in fashion, I grabbed my old denim jacket on my way out. We'd been through a lot together and it remained a favourite. I didn't envisage it would pass muster for the shoot, but there was no way it was being left behind.

On the short drive to the hair salon, I acknowledged that the reason I hadn't been able to decide what to pack or to wear, was because I had very definite ideas of what I didn't want to look like in my 'author' photos. For example, I had thought that I definitely didn't want to look like a business executive, a bean counter or a runner. I wanted to look like me. However, after six months of lockdown, wearing sweatpants, slippers and little to no makeup, I wasn't altogether sure what 'me' looked like anymore.

Hair

'What are we doing today?' Beaulah asked, as we contemplated my reflection in the mirror. 

'Maybe curls?' I suggested.

'Yes, loose, soft one's I think.' She nodded in agreement, 'That's what your hair likes to do anyway'

I nodded in affirmation. She busied herself coercing my hair to cooperate. I remained in awe that she accomplished so easily, what I found to be impossible, maybe I needed lessons... 

For the second day in a row, I left the salon with yet another beautifully coiffured look. Step one of getting ready for my photo shoot - check.
I arrived at the quirky photo shoot venue about 15-minutes early, which was fortuitous since it was rather a long way to walk from the car park to the location. I teetered along the uneven road at a snails pace - high heels and gravel were not a good combination. Where were my running shoes when I needed them?


When my publishing team had informed me they needed a photo for the back cover of my book, I had known immediately which photographer I intended to use. I met Albert through the camera club some ten years ago. Barely able to switch my own camera on back then, I'd been in awe of his work. In 2016, I was in need of a new CV photo, and so I'd plucked up the courage and paid him a visit - that particular photo session went well.  So well, in fact, that I've used the same image ever since. If anyone could produce a good author photo, I knew it would be him. 

Makeup 

Maureen (the makeup artist) arrived, and unpacked her bag of tricks onto a nearby table. 'Usual Albert look?' she asked him.  'Yes, the usual.' He replied. I'd have to wait and see what the 'usual' was, and obediently presented my face to Maureen. 

Whilst she worked her magic, the three of us engaged in good natured banter, Albert being on the receiving end of most of the chirps. One hour later, and with a last powder of my nose, Maureen declared her job done.  I inspected myself in the tiny mirror she held up. I realised that 'the usual' meant enhanced and it was safe to say that my lockdown look had very firmly been set aside - even if only for the next few hours. Step two of getting ready - check. It was time to smile for the camera...


Whilst Maureen worked her miracles, Albert had selected what I was to wear. Surprisingly, my trusty old denim jacket made an appearance, as did a plain collar shirt.  My watch was unceremoniously banished from sight, although there wasn't much to be done about the tan it rebelliously left behind. 'Sigh, welcome to the runners club', I thought with a wry smile, rubbing my wrist, as I followed Albert to an open doorway.

Photos

He wasted no time dishing out instructions on what he wanted me to do. I was soon very busy trying not to look awkward, whilst working on producing a 'small smile', as he referred to it. Have you ever noticed that when someone says don't smile, that's all you want to do? 

A couple of clicks of the shutter button later, and I was reminded yet again why I'd selected him for the job. From the few photos he showed me, I could see that he had managed exactly what I had hoped for, but thought I'd been unable to articulate.  

In true Albert fashion, through his camera lens, he had cut through everything. All the fake stuff - the hair, the makeup, and, perhaps more importantly, the carefully constructed facade I presented to the world. He had, quite simply, captured 'me'. Me with my wrinkly jeans (in my defense, at least they were clean), my ancient denim jacket and my eventually perfected 'small smile'. The various facets of me had all come together in one photo.

I am who I am

I acknowledged that, actually, there was no escaping the business executive, the accountant or the runner, but, truth be told, that was who I was - the sum of all of my various experiences. 

Having the spotlight on my appearance the last few days had reinforced what I had already known. It should never be about what one looks like - although, when it is, Albert's 'usual' style makeup certainly helps!

My belief was further underlined, since, in parallel to presenting the publishing team with a semi decent photograph, I was also asked to put together an author blurb. This would accompany the photo on the back cover. 

I thought this would be an easy process, but I found it exceptionally difficult. How did I summarise forty years of 'becoming', all the good and the bad, the strengths and the weaknesses, in less than 300 words? 

When you describe yourself, what words do you use? 

Here is what I've concluded:

* What I look like now is temporary. Makeup washes off, and tomorrow I'll look a little (make that a lot) different from today. Sometimes I clean up well enough, other times I look more like a train wreck. Either way, I'll always be me inside, some people will love me, others will hate me, and that's ok

* The huge focus that society places on appearance has occasionally skewed how I viewed myself. I much prefer people to describe me for how I left them feeling, rather than the colour of my eyes or whether I was skinny for example

* I became who I am today over time. Much like creating a photograph, my many experiences created the me that was captured on camera. I'll never again look (or be) exactly the same - it doesn't matter!

* Once I receive my photos from Albert, I wondered which version the publishing squad will choose? Perhaps the time has come to consider updating that CV photo of mine...

In case you missed it, read about day 1 of my makeover here: Makeover day 1: Haystack hair interventions.

'Life is like a camera. Focus on what is important. Capture the good times. Develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out - Take another shot' 

Ziad K. Abdelnour

Published by Quickshift Publishing, Running in Heels is available on Amazon and will soon be in bookstores. For up to date information on when and where you can find your copy, please check out my website, sign up for my newsletter, or find me on LinkedinFacebook, or Instagram.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Lessons we learned from two trees in our backyard

Hlalanathi Drakensberg Resort: Review and things to do in the area

The Fruit Situation